Sunday, September 1, 2013

A Cow Named Aromella

Raise A Glass Of Milk To Aromella!


She's done it all ... provided milk for the masses, glowed in her silky, red skin, and rang that bell of goodness that had children run from pasture to kitchen with fresh milk and cream.  She's been "moo'd" at by humans and cows alike.  And she's inspired me to create a story about her on canvas.  Meet Aromella!

When I start a piece of art, I like to tell a story (much like when I'm writing, I'm not always sure where the story is going to take me). Often times it's a quirky sort of story, filled with humor, inspiration, beauty, or mystery. It depends on my mood and who I have in mind when I'm creating a piece.

For A Cow Named Aromella, an antique cigar label inspired me when my Aunt Mary Helen sent me an envelope full of these vintage inspirations.  Mary Helen happens to love cows and paints them herself.  She's a fun and talented artist who gives personality to her subjects, as I like to do.  In this case, I imagined that Aromella was THE COW who provided milk for Opie and the crew on The Andy Griffith Show.  See, my aunt lives in a small town in North Carolina called Siler City, which is far from a city and more reminiscent of Mayberry.  In fact, once upon a time, Aunt Bee (a.k.a. Frances Bavier) actually lived in Siler City, where my uncle was her lawyer.  So linked together...you get a passion for cows, a love for milk, The Andy Griffith Show, and all that is vintage.



 
 

"Opie, you haven't finished your milk.  We can't put it back in the cow, you know." 
                 ~From The Andy Griffith Show

Next time you pour a cold class of milk to go along with a slice of Chocolate Chess Pie, think of Aromella and raise a glass to her goodness.

Chocolate Chess Pie (the way "us" Southerners make it)

 
Mix: 1 1/2 cups sugar
          3 tablespoons of cocoa
 
Add: 1 small can evaporated milk
          2 beaten eggs
          1/2 stick melted margarine or butter
          1 teaspoon vanilla
 

Directions:

  1. Mix all together well
  2. Put in unbaked pie shell.  Bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until set.
 

Pat in Pan Pie Crust


1 and 1/2 cup of flower
1/2 cup of oil
1 teaspoon of salt
1-2 tablespoons of sugar
2 tablespoons of milk
 

Directions:


  1. Place the flour, sugar, and salt in the pie pan and mix with your fingers until blended.
  2. In a measuring cup, combine the oil and milk and beat with a fork until creamy.
  3. Pour all at once over flour mixture.
  4. Mix with a fork until the flour mixture is completely moistened.
  5. Pat the dough with your fingers, first up the sides of the plate, then across the bottom.
  6. Flute the edges.
  7. Shell is now ready to be filled with chocolate goodness (see above)
 
 
Cheers,
Mary