Thursday, November 7, 2013

Mixed Media Christmas Ornaments

I'm diving in early and making mixed media holiday ornaments.  This is the first time I've ever made ornaments like these, and I have to say I'm addicted.  I wanted them to have a Paris flee market vibe...a Parisian Christmas type of elegance.  What do you think? 
 
I'm making these as gifts, but several people have asked If I would consider selling them as well.  It has crossed my mind.  The problem is finding a price that will work for both the buyer and for me.  Most people spend anywhere from $5 to $25 on a holiday ornament for the tree or a wreath.  But most of those ornaments or replications.  Mine are all originals and no two will ever be exactly alike.  In fact, it would almost be impossible for me to replicate any given one.  I don't like doing that anyway.  So, the debate in my mind goes on.  How much would I charge or should I bother?  Should they just be presents?  What do you think?  And what would you pay for one of these?  Artists often have trouble pricing their art because they want to sell their creations, but at the same time they want to get back at least part of what they've put into creating (making art is expensive).  Just to create one of these ornaments took a lot of time driving from place to place, treasure hunting, finding the right specialty art papers, paints, and embellishments.  Not to mention the time that goes into composition, creating, and layering.  And there are always those burned and sore fingers.  Hmmm.  I love every minute of it though...don't you worry!
 
 
 





What are you creating this holiday season?

Happy creating,

Mary