Thursday, February 27, 2014

LATELY!

The last few months have been all about art...creating art, displaying art, dreaming up art, overdosing on art.  So I thought I'd catch you up on a few of my latest experiences

Last December, I participated in the Wild Card Show at Art Square.  I never thought I would create small mixed media art on playing cards, but when you're invited to participate in such a challenge...you jump at the chance.  Well, I loved this more than I thought I would.  I have done art work on mini easels, book covers from torn-up books, large canvasses, old reclaimed wood, and ornaments...but never playing cards.


The Lady and Abe
You would be surprised at the composition possibilities using playing cards.  To start, we were asked to keep the front of the card as is and only create on the backside.  So I began by looking at my playing cards...joker, queen, king, and lucky 7 and use that as inspiration. You should try it!

One Day I Shall Be Queen


 
 
This month found me at The Cooley Gallery, where I participated in their February "Small Art Show."  In case you didn't know, The Cooley Gallery was founded by former Redskins star Chris Cooley and is, in my opinion, one of the hippest galleries around the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan area.  You should hop in there when you have a chance.  There is a wide-variety of art there, and the pottery is gorgeous and functional, too.
 
Here are a few of my pieces that were in the show:
 

 
March will find me supporting my brother-in-law at his art exhibit at ArtSpace in Herndon.  It's the 2014 Fine Art Photography Exhibit, where one of his pieces was selected as a finalist.
 
Happy creating!
Mary